A consulate was established at Kashgar, China’s western-most city, near its borders with Russia and India, by the Government of India in 1891, and staffed by the Indian Consular Service. George Macartney began his service at Kashgar in 1891. In 1904 a British consular commission was issued to him. He became consul-general in 1910 and served until 1918. The Government of India completed the construction, on the site of Macartney’s old native house, of a fine new consular building in 1913. Many travellers became familiar with it, including Peter Fleming, who called the Post Kashgar-les-Bains in 1935 on account of its delights. The consulate was taken over by India in 1948 after Partition and was occupied by the Chinese in 1952. The famed gardens of the consulate no longer exist but the building is now part of an hotel [?name].