Full diplomatic relations with the Holy See were severed by the Act of Supremacy of 1534 and not re-established until 1914, with the appointment of Sir Henry Howard as minister: the role was upgraded to ambassador in 1982.
Before the Second World War, the residence was at Villa Sebastiani, 36 Via Mercadante, which had been leased since 1923, and the offices at 20 Via Quattro Fontane. In 1940, the minister accepted an offer by the Holy See of unfurnished accommodation in the Vatican City itself, and handed the two leased properties for safekeeping to the Apostolic Nuncio to the King of Italy. Both these leases expired during the war.
After the war, the residence was in a succession of leased properties or apartments [this list is not authoritative}: on Via di Parco Pepoli until 1957; at Villa La Camilluccia, which belonged to Princess Barberini and then Palazzo Orsini until 1963; Palazzo Lovatelli until 1966; and Villa Cameli, 22-24 Via Antonio Bertolini until 1981. Attempts to buy this villa failed and the residence moved to Villa Drusiana, Via di Porta San Sebastiano. [?now]
At the end of the Second World War, the offices moved into a flat hired from the Vaselli family in Piazzo Gabriele D’Annunzio, and in 1961 to 91 Via Condotti, near the foot of the Spanish Steps. In 2006, after much heart searching in view of the Holy See’s preference to keep the mission’s accommodation separate from the UK’s bilateral mission to Italy, the offices moved into the grounds of the embassy at Porta Pia. [?stable block]